Wednesday, 2 September 2026

2026 Australia

Photos are at:- 
Up to Townsville (1st half)  - https://photos.app.goo.gl/sxp6ttGMbCKYbRfo7
Train Trips Kuranda          - https://photos.app.goo.gl/zz8u4gJgWtzUBHLa8
From Townsville (2nd half) - https://photos.app.goo.gl/rCsCbAi26jhTV3p8A

Saturday August 29th
UK service! The bus puts us off at a closed Bus interchange, go piss in the streets is the attitude - we are closed. Cardiff is crowded on a Friday night. Bus was OK despite my sitting in the wrong seat. Spent 3hrs sitting in arrivals as there are no seats in departures. Went too the lounge at sbout 7am and got in. Slightly cramped and not a lot of hot food on offer, but good cerials and pastries. Gate announced before 10 am so out of lounge and at the gate. Dozed most of the way and listened to podcasts.

August 30th - Singapore
So arrived at 7am. Got to the free tours desk, which opened at 8am and after a short queue was booked on the 1pm harbour tour. Found a nearby seat and played on the computer til 10.30 before going for a wander around the terminal. Very impressed, a butterfly enclosure and free cinema, also I was to discover the longest slide in any airport. Come tour time it was a panic as my entry visa was wrong - I had put British Subject when I am just British. Then the tablet to do a correct one was fiddly, but there was a very helpful person there so I made it and was not the last through immigretion. Tour was OK. Paid for the optional, boat tour so that I would not have to walkin the heat and humidity. On return I visited the Jewel and McD for an ice cream. Short while in the cinema before going to the lounge. I'm not sure if it is worth it as there are plenty of seats with power in the terminal, but the shower was nice. Should have asked for the free dental packon the plane. Now waiting for the gate to open, which won't be till 8.45 and I left the lounge early.

Mon August 31st - Brisbane
Arrived 6am. Cleared immigration and fouund the train into the city. Appartment turned to be directly outside the station but check in was not until 2pm. Wandered across the river and along the South Bank to breakfast. Took the ferry all the way down the river then found City Hall and Museum. Checked in 2pm prompt and spent rest of day relaxing apart from a short trip to get supplies. Watched NFL last of pre-season game.

Tues Sept 1st Brisbane
Had booked a Clock Tower tour at 10.15. So check out and breakfast 9am. Discovered the Mayor's Concert at 12, so left luggage and tried to find a paper. Instead I found the tourist info centre in an old theatre, fantastic decor. Concert was piano duets. From there to Queensland Museum on South Bank until 16.30. Interesting displays and relationship with native people. Got lost which messed up my timing for sitting on the ferry and going upstream. Paniced and got to station at 18.30. Saw Spirit of the Outback leave before getting on Westlander. They gave us a packed dinner, no need for supplies.

Wed Sept 2nd - Charleyville
Didn't sleep a lot. Sun up and plenty of kangaroos to be seen, and a large bird cassowary? Arrive Charlieville about midday, station is a nice visitor centre. Walked out to the museum WW2 Secret Base, USA emphasis, also called at the Flying Doctor Centre. Stopped at the Graham Rogers Park, see the rain making guns and birds. Then back to station for a magnet, coffee and train. Departed 18.10 in darkness.

Thurs Sept 3rd - Brisbane
Slept pretty well on the train. After Too we descend the escarpment. Attempting to take photos of the train, sun and reflections being a problem. Could see the mist in the valleys bu no way that will come out. Just realised that the sun will be to the north. Arrived and went to leave my bag but the room was ready and she let me in so on with the washing and sitting enjoying the flat. Heard the jets practising for Riverfire. Accidentally deleted the photos. Hours spent trying to recover them. £2 spent on a pint of milk.

Friday Sept 4th
Out at 8 for breakfast. Back and packed by 9.45. Had to wait for museum to open so that I could dump my bag. Completed the ferry trip to Mt They said the jets would be practicing at 12.30 so waited for them. Nice, but poor photos. Tour of Town Hall was OK - good even. Down to McD intending to have a hot choc but it was $7 as against 0.50 (27p) for an ice cream. Made Spirit of Queensland, which is not as good as the Westlander. Non working USB, and no food.
Saturday Sept 5th
26hrs onboard. At least I had a signal, so was able to sort out payment of hotel and book Kiranda for Tuesday - no service for 3 days due to a bridge failure they said. History podcast seems to have an infinity of episodes.
Arrived, appartment was next to station. Shower etc. Fell asleep with computer supposedly charging power bank and it has frozen, not rrsponding to any input and will not swotch off. Placed in fridge in case it is overheating. 
Sunday Sept 6th
Well there goes losing weight. Jet Lag is still hitting, awake at 5am and unable to sleep, so I thought I would walk to the esplanade and gt the sunrise at 06.20. Problem was there a hill in the way and a McD. Breakfast seemed cheaper if I had a double burger (or at least about the same), so I did. Wandered along the seafront and discovered Scottsdale is a twin city, so messaged Marylin. Plenty of birds to try and photograph. Back to a/c by 8am. Cairns Festival last day so plenty to do, but do I like live music? 
Well I was enjoying the brass band doing Bohemian Rhapsody, but it was their last tune. The Swing band set was pretty good and relaxing. Street market full of fancy stuff. Missed the bus back, but the next one came all the way to the station and I was able to visit Woolworths and stock up on fruit (and cookies). 
Monday Sept 7th
Embrace the jet lag. Up at 05.30 and out for breakfast at 6am. The plan was to do the hike before it got too hot. Caught the 7am bus down to the beginning of the hike. Decided to do it towards the Botanical Gardens on the basis that there was more to do there if I was knackered at the end. Turned out there was a cafe at the bus stop anyway. The trail was switchbacks forever, and a few steps of stone steps. It was frustrating to hear all the aircraft at the airport and yet not be able to see anything. When I did get to the airport view I didn't have the patience to sit and wait, thought the little plane was all there was and missed the big one.
   The bus failed to arrive, so I had to hike across the park to get the 130. Decided I deserved an ice cream before coming back in about 12.30 and intend to spend the rest of the day in the air con. Which was not as much fun as I expected.

Tuesday Sept 8th - Cairns
Up and out for breakfast at 07.30. Plenty of time to catch the 09.30 to Kuranda. To Freshwater is pretty flat but then it begins the climb after Redlynch it gets quite good but because of the tropical rain forest you don't get to see much. The Waterfall bridge and Stony Creek Falls is spectacular and even now there was water flowing over itt. I suspect that the Barron Gorge is better appreciated from another perspective, perhaps the Skyrail as it is above the trees a lot of the time. At Kuranda I wandered down to the river, well reservoir edge, and watched the butterflies. The boat trip publicity said there were freshwater crocs in there, but boat trip times did not suit. Village was touristy but information centre had a lot of information. Left foot blister was pretty painful, so invested in some new insoles but was still limping around Cairns when I got there. Return trip got me back to Cairns at 5pm, best bits are quitebearly. McD had run out of ice cream, and the Cairns fridge magnet was expensive. By 8pm I was falling asleep, while trying to process photos, but forced myself awake until 9pm.

Wednesday Sept 9th - Townsville
Awake at 05.15, had intended 6am. So blog now. Breakfast and train seat was an ndividual seat with a good window at the end of the carrage. Very pleasant trip. Depart 07.40 arrive 13.40 on time. We crossed plenty of rivers/streams some dry others with water in them, we also had a number of sugar cane plantations with miniature railways crossing our path. And the time was enough for it not to get boring. Found the accommodation with only one small navigational error, failing to appreciate the directions on the building. Problem now it the television. It used to be simple but now they prefer streaming services. I seem to have found it - whether I will get it tomorrow is a different question. Now the SD car nas failed and photos appear lost!

Thursday Sept 10th - Townsville
Awake early 5am but got to sleep til 7am. Out for breakfast and taking photos. Back for American Football and surprised that it was Seattle v New England in Seattle - I was expecting the Mmelbourne game but have lost track of the days. Ate my way through the match. 
   After the match I determined to get a new SD card and card reader so that I could trace the problem. Went to a shopping centre with a BigW - they didn't have it but claimed to have some noise cancelling headphones for 13 AUD or £7 so I purchased those. Was planning to go to JD but bus was not due for 30 mins, so wandered around and got a card and reader from a small shop as the prices seemed compatable. Got back and it seems the problem is with my SD Card. The new SD crd works, the card reader does not and the headphones are not showing up on bluetooth. Originally I thought they might not be charged but now they are charged and still not showing up - next I have to read the instructions which said remove the plastic.
    Tried the pool but it was too cold so decided to see the sunset from Castle Hill. After that I deserved the pizza for tea.

Friday Sept 11th -Townsville
Wandering to McD I passed a fire. The old hotel appeared to be burning with very little action. On return at least they were putting water on it but I had to go the long way round as they appeared to be evacuating most of the area because of the smoke. Also visited the tourist centre which was closed, as stated on google but not on the official website. Now ready for the Melbourne NFL game

Saturday Sept 12th - The Inlander
Bit late getting out to breakfast, back at 09.30 to pack up and get out by 10am check out time. Went through the park to the station and a bit of reading as I waited for the train.
The Inlander has only a normal plug, no usb ports. We got issued with sandwich as we left and are promised more. The scenery is fantastic, first parkland, now plains, so flat you can see for many miles. Plenty of kangaroos and a couple of ostriches, even a couple of camels. Light fluffy clouds in a blue sky. Single seat - nice. There is no lounge car but a coffee making area with fruit available. 

Sunday Sept 13th - The Inlander/Mount Isa
I think we were about an hour late arriving. Wandered into town, picking up some dental brushes and fridge magnet. Wandered on to the viewpoint, which was supposed to be closed but they had not plocked the ramp access. Trying to get pictures oof birds is very difficult. On to what I thought was the gem museum but turned out to be the outback Centre with a lot of history of mining and the nature park, really very good but the lizards did not co-operate and getting a photo of the butterfies was impossible.
Picked up an ice cream at McD and was back for the train departure at 13.30. Termite mound abound. I even had a conversation with the attendant

Monday Sept 14th - Townsville
The train was about 40mins late getting in, just after 10am Check in is 2pm so I am trying to kill time. Took the park route into town and had an Ice Cream before going to visit Copperstring 2032. This is basically a PR exercise by the power compay who are trying to build a massive powerline out to Mount Isa. It's mainly aimed at kids and I was the only one in there. Filling this in at McD over a hot choc and cookies (cookies are useless) At least I have the instructions for check in - we will see if they work. 

Tuesday Sept 15th - Townsville
A relaxing day in Townsville. After breakfast it was on to the Museum of Queensland. Very interesting, much focus on HMS Pandora. This was the ship sent to capture the Bounty mutineers and was wrecked on the Great Barrier Reef.  That and natural life focus meant I spent longer in there than intended. 
   Went on to the ferry terminal, picked up a leaflet on early buildings in the town. It didn't have as much detail as the plaques on the buildings. Wandered througgh Anzak park and decided to return to flat. Picked up a couple of books in a charity shop and supplies from Woolworths. Plan was to go up the mountain again but I decided to be lazy and stayed in to finish the original book and sort photos.

Wednesday Sept 16th - Spirit of Queensland
Up at 7am and changed plans - had been intending to get breakfast and come back and check out at 10am. Instead I stayed in and did photos and will check out and thn go wandering. Train is not due until 13.40. SoI wandered down to the Queensland Museum (having another breakfast on the way) and purchased a magnet. Carried on and discovered the local sailing club and a couple of lads going out in a 29er. One of them said he owned a TP52 and had done 3 Sydney Hobarts. Ice cream on my way back to the station. Townsville curse struck again. This time I rushed out of the waiting room as the train approached and left both of the books behind.
    I had a window seat and various companions. The big worry was the train running late - at one stage over 2hrs late, but in the end we got in at 10.25. 

Thursday Sept 17th - Rockhampton
This gave me time to have cheese and apple before getting on the tilt train. At least the USB port worked on this, and it supposedly had wifi, but you had to use your own device. This train also ran late and didn't arrive till 19.40. Found the motel but there was no one around and phone failed to connect - eventually I got a message with the code and got into the room.  Corrections to the days.

Friday Sept 18th - Rockhampton
Awake before 6am, so finished off the Bears Panthers game. Turns out the live game starts at 9.30 so 2hr wait. Lack of sleep headache, so plan is to relax and then watch that before going out. Which meant it was 2pm when I got out. The Charity shop didn't have any books that I fancied. Was trying to find some string and failing. Lemonade and Ice Cream and then on to Woolworths, having bought some ribbon and a sticker -no magnets going. And there at the Woolies Centre was a Reject shop with the right size string for $3. Back at the motel by 5pm and eating biscuits.

Saturday 19th - Gympy
Up at 05.30 in order to catch the 06.45 train. The sun was up and the trees were in bloom, very pretty. Didn't get a window seat but then I didn't get anyone sitting in the window seat. At Gympy they wouldn't let me hike to the motel and gave me a lift with the bus so I was early, about 12.30. Had a beer and checked in. Accommodation was well hidden but is very nice and has a big TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment