Photos are at:- https://photos.app.goo.gl/JD71AJVn5UrAXoqv6
Wednesday 29th August
Awake at 4am still trying to work out what time to get up in order to catch the 05.30 train. Lay in bed a while and did get out of the flat just as the alarm telling me to leave went off. Not that urgent as there was another train which would have got me to Cardiff in time.Breakfast was dissapointing - blew all my points on a double sausage and egg burger but it had no egg in it, and the flatbread was more like cardboard, shame the wraps are so expensive. Anyway the bus left on time and was a head of schedule at most stops. Arrived Heathrow 10.20 and the gate was not even announced until 12.30 so a bit of a wait - able to send regatta photos.
Flight was just over 10hrs and the window seat gave some nice views of Datchet, Iceland, Greenland, the Northern shield and Californian volcanoes. Immigration was quick and would have been quicker if I had used the App (must remember for next time except it won't work with the cruise), Was able to load my compass card and get to the hotel around 18.30 local time.
Went for a wander but no enthusiasm, couldn't work out the Jack menu and there were no prices in the convenience store. Discovered the 49ers museum doesn't open until Friday noon so will need change plans.
Thursday 30th Aug
Bloody TV refused to work so no weather forecast, so much for "Smart" TV'sBreakfast was good and I cought the N line out to Ocean Beach. Walked along the coast to The Golden Gate Bridge. They are correct it is one of the most spectacular coastal walks possible. Caught the bus back in to Fishermans Wharf and the vintage trolley up Market St for lunch. Visited the railway museum, which was not as good as I expected. Lots of information and small relics but as they said, their main exhibits were out on the street. Took the ferry out to Larkspur and back.
Found a Safeway and decided that the member discounts were so good that I had to get membership - this took a lot of doing including a new email, all for a saving of $6. Also discovered I had blown through the $20 on my compass card. Guess the ferry was not as inexpensive as I thought. Back at hotel by 6pm and the TV works, I also have a microwave.
Friday 31st August
Spent an hour trying to sort out Queensland, Australia trains. Got first one sorted with the pass. Out at 08.30 and enjoyed breakfast. T line station was closed, with fire service in attrndance. Got to Powell and managed to put money on card but when I got to CalTrain station was told I could not use Clipper to buy a ticket. $8 for a day pass. Now the train has hit a shopping cart. Guess it is better than a lorry, but I does seem that I am fated to hit things when riding trains in California. Last one was on my way to Yosemite! Almost left hy hat on the train!Transfer to the Orange line and travel to Levi Stadium was easy, arrived 10 mins before the Museum opened. An interesting combination of trying to tell the history by artefacts that I fail to see as valuable - just because a star player used them. It was a surprise to see how long ago the M era was.
Went for a hike along the river, enjoying the climate, seeing little birds, martins, dragonfly and aircraft out of San Jose. However, car parks and houses on the other side of the embankment. Flat and boring, a good cycle route. Back on the train, that ride was also not as intersting as I expected, a great train but travel through suburbia.
Called in at customer services and have found out why I cannot register my clipper card - wrong email registered. Will see if it ever gets sorted. Spent rest of the evening booking train rides for Queensland Australia.
Saturday 1st August San Francisco
Awake at 6am but managed to stay in bed until 7am. Found American fotball programme on TV but was out by about 08.30. Enjoyed a pleasant breakfast in McD and wandered through Chinatown to get to the ship. Luckily they were not blocking access to th cabins, so I was able to dump my kit there. Buffet and then went for a walk down to Pier 39 and a view of the sea lions. They really did not want to let me off the ship. The Golden Gate Bridge was covered with fog, just the tops showing but by the time I got back on the ship the fog had vanished. Ice Cream and Cookies and back to cabin awaiting departure.
Sunday 2nd August At Sea
Decided it was not worth trying to catch the dawn but was still up for breakfast just after 7am. Took the book along and that worked well. Went upstairs and read until it was time to go to the theatre and have the chat on shopping during the trip. That overran so I only got the tail of the Natural History chat. Had Lunch and went to the Art Chat which was pretty animated and interesting. More food and the retreat was being closed so I came back to the cabin and sort of watched "The Devil wears Prada 2". More food and back to the cabin with a cup of milk and cookies. It's a formal evening so I am staying put. Only took three photos today!
Monday 3rd August At Sea
Surprisingly busy day. Up early, breakfast and read in Skylounge until 10am Theatre presentation on Marine Mamals tayed in the theatre for the 11.30 Ketchikan Shopping Show which was followed by a raffle at the Effy Shop. Got some sort of necklace (I think). Then it was time for an enrichment lecture at 1300 on Alaskan Histor supposedly. (No time for the art auction). 1400 was more info on Ketchikan Information followed by the Second Officer and the Navigation show at 1500. Sat in on a Quiz show at the Explorer lounge and finished the book. Book was about Apache Helecopters in Afghanestan - rather ironic given the way it ended. By this time it was 17.30. Spent about half an hour trying to find out about the Canadian Customs declaration - not very good service - they ignored my message on the app.I must have spent some time in the cabin and after dinner ended up watching the sunset and taking some photos. Just a busy day at sea. Wondering about Ketchikan. Google says the Rainbird Trail is closed and there are going to be five ships in port!
Tuesday 4th August Ketchikan
I got out and decided that it was crowded and nowhere was providing free wifi, google said the local library was only half a mile away so I headed for that. What it forgot to mention was the 500ft climb to get to it. Anyway it was very nice but didn't open until 10am so chatted to some woman, also visiting and looking for some hiking trails. WiFi done and BBC Sounds working again I was off to do the Deer Mountain trail. This turned out to be pretty hard, I gave up at the halfway point having climbed over 1,000ft in 2.5miles. And the viewpoint wasn't up to much - couldn't see the cruise ships, five of them in port. Discovered I am entitled to go into the Skywalker lounge between 4.30 and 6pm for Captains Circle, so did. Then Dinner and The evening theatre presentation was pretty good, combined dance and magic and reflections on life.
Wednesday 5th August Juneau
Breakfast, watdhed a couple of porpoises go by and a whale blowing in the distance - it was flat calm, Skywalker lounge for a read, then down for the presentation, which was in the Explorers Lounge while I waited in the Theatre. But realised and made it at 9am. Won the raffle so now have a tote bag and a lot of useless stuff to get back to UK. (nail varnish, kiddies T shirt, adult T shirt).
10am in Juneau - municipal free wifi - but I think Ian no longer uses the live email (Need him to tell the camera repair guy not to get impatient) Facemessaged him later. Played Debora Treasure Hunt as I had to pass the jewellery stores anyway then got up onto the Perseverence Trail. Hiked that up to the end with a waterfall. On the way back did the Gold Creek Flume - which was in a better state than last time and open, despite the sign. There were five ships in, three were Princess ships, one of them had to tender ashore (glad I missed the crowds), Back at ship around 4.30pm. Stopped to do internet stuff and cooled off and became stiff on the way. Skywalker with a coffee, dinner and then did the comedy show, which was not exactly crowded. Now to sort photos.
Thursday 6th August Haines
Usual massive breakfast and I was on the quayside by 08.30. Picked up a trail map at the information centre, which confirmed what Komoot was telling me and off I went with the intention of going around Haines Hill. This meant using the Lilly Lake Trail and the Mount Riley Trails.This proved to be extremely hard work, the trail up the mountain was very steep and long. I guess doing 11 miles yesterday did not help. Eventually got back to ses level thinking my uphill stuff was finished, only yo find that the Battery Trail and road went up quite a bit, and the road was just a slog. It turned out to be a total of 10miles, back at 15.30 so 5hrs says app, 7hrs says the maths. I went up to the buffet and consumed a lot of lemonade. Up to the Skywalker Lounge for Captains Club, followed by Explorer Lounge for Trivia Quiz and then Theatre for a Whitney Houston tribute act. All I hear are the things that make it not like the original. Feasted and came back to cabin.
Friday August 7th Endicott Arm
I guess we were lucky with the timing, two other cruise liners came out to let us in and we were quite early with a 10 am arrival time at the Dawes Glacier. At least we got closer this time than last, although not as close to a glacier asd we did on the Royal Caribean. Anyway, we were all out by 11.30 and after a short break it was a busy afternoon. Art auction began at 12.30, I was able to go to the Birds talk and get back before the end of the auction and collect my "free artwork". Then the Prince Rupert briefing took us to 16.00, missing the North to Alaska Enrichment chat (may get it on playback) Finished my Ben Elton book and donated that to the library, also had to re-do my canadian entry declaration as they had lost the original. 7pm was the Captain's Circle Party where I got my second free drink of the day, first was a glass of champagne at the auction, now a free beer - even if it was american. Dinner was ribs (again disappointing) and lasagne which although looking ugly was good. Back in room with Cheese, Cookies and Brownies.
Saturday August 8th Prince Rupert
Despite the clocks going forward an hour I was awake at the usual time. Skipped the second course of breakfast, as I was feeling full, think last night was to blame. Got ashore easily, could not log in to Safeway wifi as my Safeway app is on the american phone which I left on the ship. Tim Horton enabled me to get everything done and enjoy an excellent Hot Chocolate (should try large next time) The hardware store had some new cartoons up (I think - had to go back and get a better photo of one). Visited the museum, which had a single pannel about the railway. Bought a fridge magnet to remind me of my last visit and the eagle coming down the street. Avoided the trail as I wanted to retain pleasant memories of it.
Ship sailed at 13.30 back into fog for a while. Attended the dancers explaining their careers and the Skywalker Lounge. Dinner and the 1900 comedian - very gentle. Retired at 20.00 to play with pictures and this diary.
No photos today, but plenty of enrichment. Formal evening, so hiding in cabin.
Monday August 10th At Sea
At least I took a couple of photos today. Also investigated future cruises - seems they have a shareholder scheme (100 shares at a cost of about £2500 would give $250 credit on a 14 day cruise) Not worth it - last time I lost the whiskey at the airport.
Tuesday August 11th Arrive SF
Off the boat and caught up with email by 08.30. Walked to Embarcadero and took the N Line out to th Golden Gate Park and wandered through that to the end of the N Line. Still had time to spare so took a Trolley Bus out to California and Presidio - but it was still some distance from the Presidio. Bart out to the Airport and still some $20 on my Clipper Card.
Wednesday August 12th Arrive LHR
Slept well on the plane, waking up over Ireland. English countryside looked parched. We were in at 12.15 and the bus was supposed to be 14.45, so well over an hour finishing the Alan Sugar biography in a quiet corner of Terminal 3. The bus was late - left about 15.30. Cardiff at 17.40 and confusion over te timing of the96 bus to Barry. I should have taken the train. Back around 9.30 and put the fridge magnets on the board. All ebay purchases had arrived.














No comments:
Post a Comment