Thursday 29 August 2024

2024 USA 1

Photos of this trip are at:-
Most of the trip                https://photos.app.goo.gl/FitRge21cGdmow4A9
Train trips:-                      https://photos.app.goo.gl/YttoJuajqjjPZRdP9 
Pikes Peak & Denver      https://photos.app.goo.gl/yGr62JM4Cmbm4Lwh8
Yellowstone                     https://photos.app.goo.gl/3zBFNRUJ3Pk7ATuE8

Tuesday 27th August 2024
Not a good day for preparation. A Scout Bell Boat loose in the dock put pay to the morning. Then I opened the spreadsheet and saw that the International Driving Permit could not be got locally, as I thought, but meant a trip to Cardiff. First time on an electric bus. Quiet! Then of course by about 8pm all was ready and I was impatient to go. Tracked bus and was on the 10.34 305 to Cardiff. McD supper. Leaving behind the books and binoculars I had intended to bring.
Wednesday 28th Aug
Flixbus was early and got to Gatwick at 5am. Check ins opened at 6am and problems started. No booking - sent to Norwegian, but it was Norse. Discovered ticket was for June. Had to buy another ticket £278.99. At least the bag fitted in the measuring container, with a bit of forcing. Now recovering at McD which was not as easy to find as I expected. 
Did manage to find a quiet area to wait and got some things done. 
Getting on the plane took a long time and I was seated right at the back and in the middle, couldn't see a thing, 7hr flight and the seat back display was nothing on the Finnair.
Landed at 3.30pm local time, took a long time to get off the plane and one and a half hours to get through immigration. I thought the train was at 6.30 and was getting worried. Not as much as I should have been. I think I made the last train to Riverhead and it was at 18.07. 65mls so it was pretty dark when I arrived, and pretty hot - it had been 90+.
Motel was not too far and it has a pool justifying packing swim trunks, even if I won't use them, which I didn't.

Thursday 29th Aug
Motel is next to a pretty noisy road, so not easy sleeping or was it jet lag.
Turned out there was a McD just round the corner so it was round there for breakfast and a wander around the town. Back by 9.30 and got on the internet for the virtual Historic Tour of Riverhead  Also downloaded the trains app and got a return to Greenport 40mins each way and left in time for a visit to the local history museum. Arrows in the doorway to remind us of the native Indians, but that was about the only reference.
Nice train ride 15 mins at Greenport, saw the ferries and there was a fridge magnet for North End but it was massive - well relatively - so didn't get it. Lots of vineyards and space, egrets in the inlets we passed. Still wondering what the conductors said about the guy in the white shirt and straw hat. 7-11 for tea, had to have 3 bananas, as there was a deal on 1$ for one, 1.25$ for three. Short wander along the riverside walk and saw the Hawk take a fish, lots of wildlife round. 
College football game on Fox was delayed by an hour and I fell asleep after the first quarter.
Friday 30th Aug
McD breakfast using the feedback code - didn't save as much as I thought, probably because I had an Orange Juice, which is three times the price of Coffee. Rain forecast, so I could get wet going to the train - but I didn't.
Train was on time and changes were good, getting me into Grand Central at 12.30. I think we arrived on the newest and deepest lines. It seemed to be quite a way from the main concourse. 
Wandered around and outside as I had a couple of hours to kill before the tour. The whole place was extremely crowded. Bryant Square was nice then down past Empire State and back. Noticed the Chrysler Building.
Technically the tour was interesting, as we got earpieces which enabled us to hear the guide, but apart from learning that Vanderbilt's symbol was acorns and oak leaves I could have explored myself - we didn't touch the newer parts, and I still don't have a good idea of the extent of the place. I came out in the Vanderbilt Building without realising I had crossed the road.
Walked down to 33rd St and caught the PATH to Journal Square.
Habian Inn is not good. First room had not been made up, second room had the lock hanging off the door, no plug in sink, no cups or glasses and no coat hangers. Went out into an extremely cosmopolitan area, but found a really inexpensive supermarket, and forgot to get superglue.

Saturday 31st
I did visit Subway, but it was too complicated so I went back across the road to McD and had my usual breakfast. Then it was onto the train and off to the World Trade Centre. It's all pretty modern and impressive, the two pools are pretty impressive and evocative (will find the right word sometime), 
From there it was on to the Transit Museum in Brooklyn. An old subway station so an interesting layout, even if it has the smallest and least impressive entrance of any of the places I have visited. Still don't understand the NY Subway system. Nice.  
 I then thought it would be a nice idea to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Google showed it was possible, although I was a bit doubting about the footpath being down the middle of the road. But it was, and half of Manhattan seemed to have had the same idea - it was crowded. Labour Day weekend meant subway trains were disrupted, it took me to the coach station on 42nd street. I followed the signs and ended up at Times Square without going above ground (which I think would have been quicker), 
    From there it was a 25 min hike to the Intrepid Museum.
 That was a fun couple of hours. I think that in the 40 odd years since we first tried to visit there have been a few improvements. Lots of aircraft and displays inside a cavernous hanger deck. It was followed by a trip down the river on a New York City Ferry, at $4 it was excellent value and got me back to Battery park which was convenient for the train back from WTC to Journal Square. I even managed to get some superglue at the supermarket.
Sunday Sept 1st
Wander to McD for breakfast and observed the Mormon conference lining up in their Sunday Best. The PATH train went the long way round via Hoboken but got me to 33rd. I was surprised that Penn Station was only a block away. The entrance was pretty diminutive, but there is a lot under Madison Square Garden, and a lot of people getting their photos taken. My departure was from Moynihan Hall. This appeared as impressive as Grand Central on the outside (and pretty big inside). I think a lot of the photos of Penn Station included this hall.
Through that and found Hudson Yards - another modern development with many upmarket shops. Outside that I came across the High Line Park. (I wanted to find it yesterday) So while not ticked off at least I now know where it is.
  Onto the train which departed at 11.20am. I should have enjoyed the trip more, but I was spending a lot of time trying to work out how to get to Albany Airport. The river views were pretty continuous.
   The earliest bus left the station at 18.05. I discovered the Empire State Trail as a way of getting across the river. The No 1 bus should have got me within 3 miles of the airport. Google was suggesting it was a 6hr walk. The bridge was fine - only the Trail was broken and one had to hike down the car ramp, and then back to the bus station. Then the bus was not going all the way, adding a mile to the hike at the end. Bus driver took pity on me and only took 1$ for the fare rather than 1.50$. I think I made it by 4.30pm. Had to go into the Terminal which was not very well signposted. Anyway got the car and drove to the Red Roof Motel.
  The lad on duty eventually found my booking and recognised Cardiff. Still trying to work out how the car works - google auto seems to be working on home time and refused to connect. Now for some College Football - this time starting at a reasonable hour - maybe. 
Monday Sept 2nd
Red Roof offer breakfast, so no McD today. Problem was it was an American Breakfast. Extremely sweet porridge, good juice and a couple of muffins with Philly cheese. Then on the road. This was only a 5hr drive but it seemed pretty long for me and has me worried about the drive from Phoenix. I tried to stop every hour, there were some info/rest stops. Getting used to the cruise control. Called in at Aldi and stocked up on food
Got in at 16.30.
Tuesday Sept 3rd
Up at 7am and out before 8.30. Google said 40mins for both routes despite there being a 15 mile difference. Turned out that the short route was unpaved and over the mountain so the best speed was about 15mph. Cruise control wouldn't work as the road was too rough. Had a Black Bear and her 3 cubs cross the road about 100 yds in front of me. Better than a black cat.
   Cog railway was OK. Somehow I had missed the number of bio-diesels running up and down. the 9.30 steam train got up at 10.30 and we had an hour at the top. Wind was 50mph and gusting 60 and freezing. Clear out to 50miles but of course the camera could not capture it, I hope it captures the tilt of the train 38degrees 15ft difference between one end and the other of the carriage. Mooned on the way down by some hikers.
  Having forgotten my hat it was back to the motel for lunch and then off to the Moose Brook State Park to do a Kohoot walk. Made it despite Beaver Bog being almost impassable. It meant that I had wet - well damp, boots. The scale was a little confusing - distances seemed quite big so at the end I felt I deserved a McD so went down there and used the promotion from the survey. 
   Back to the Motel and started to check out the Pikes Peak Cog Railway. Would be nice to do both but probably means missing/ changing hotel plans. We will see.
Wednesday 4th Sept
Well that was a disaster! Plan was to drive to Lake St George by a different route, - maybe see Burlington and arrive in time for the Sully Committee Meeting at 3pm.
Views of the wooded mountains were great but Google got clever and I don't think I went anywhere near Burlington. Worried a lot about getting petrol and it may have re-routed me when I turned off the interstate for it. I ended up visiting the same Visitor Centre as on my way up. However I arrived at 14.30 and was in time for the meeting - easier to contact from here than it was from Sully. After the meeting the swimming pool looked inviting and I actually got into swim trunks and went down there - rules required two people and the water was quite chilly so they didn't get wet.
Lake St George was not good. parking meters everywhere and large trip boats, which I am sure would have been expensive and not as quaint as the brochures made out. Have now researched a couple of hikes for tomorrow. At least I know the charge for one of them is 10$ for the car.
Thursday Sept 5th
Up and off to Breakfast. Then on to Lake Bonita Trailhead at Moreau Lake State Park. A 2.5hr hike through the woods following the various trails. Spectacular views, which I now see included the Hudson River (I thought it was a lake). Met a total of five people all the way around. Plenty of interesting plants and mushrooms, also got a picture of what appeared to be the local squirrel, but it was much smaller and more colourful than the usual sort.
   
Then on to Saratoga Spa State Park, and there could not have been a greater contrast. Mostly manicured lawns and parking lots. However, there was a pretty river and the buildings were interesting. The springs were naturally carbonated and full of minerals so pretty obnoxious. Photos failed to capture the beauty of the springs and their minerals.
Friday 6th Sept
In the airport waiting for flight to Phoenix via Charlotte. Breakfast as usual, rental car filled and returned. Trying to work on Sully Newsheet.
Flight to Charlotte had me in an aisle seat at the front, so I was out quickly, slight confusion as the gate had been changed from that shown on the app. Got a window seat, near the back for the flight to Phoenix and listened to a podcast about the origins of the NFL. Skytrain at Phoenix airport to the rental car centre where the agent tried to sell me a bigger car, which I refused, he then had to give me a return car which I think was rather bigger than he expected, he certainly looked deflated. Couldn't get the cruise control to work, so have had to read the manual. Marylin found me in the street and it is now parked on the drive.
Saturday Sept 7th
A full day of watching College Football with Marv while Marylin worked on her course, getting more and more frustrated at not scoring 100% on the test. Well fed!
Sunday Sept 8th
Prepared for the NFL by getting out into the pool for a swim. Marv has just said there might not be that many games, we will see. and we saw three games all day and finished at a civilised hour!
Monday Sept 9th
Getting into the swimming habit. Another relaxing day with Marylin taking me shopping so that I could get a Scottsdale Magnet $4 Cash. She bought a sofa for $2k+, also went to Costco and she paid for my nuts and cookies. Feeling guilty, 
   Marvin has shingles - not doing too well. I took Marylin to get medicine at half time -just as well, or they would have been closed, I got a little more familiar with the car.
Tuesday Sept 10th
Drove to Durango. on the road by 8.30 even with Marylin cooking breakfast. A stop at Holbourne - nice Museum and McD. Car is showing Maintenance required now.
Scenery is wonderful - I don't think I will get use to continue for 90miles -or 50miles!
Phoned Budget - got sent out to the airport 17mls the guy had not told them and they had no car. Lots of time on the phone getting nowhere. The lady came out and said she had re-set the oil change thing. 

Wednesday Sept 11th
McD is next door to the Durango and Silverton Depot so early arrival and breakfast sorted.
Fantastic train trip! The guidebook was pretty good too. Too many photos taken. 
Booked the Cumbres & Toltec train trip on the way back to Durango.
Problem was this trip got back to Durango at 6.45, so the drive to Cumbre was over 50% in the dark, and it was BLACK!  
Got to motel at 8.45pm.

Thursday Sept 12th
Had to be at the station at 08.30 so up early. Got some cash with a $2 charge - better than the $5 Wells Fargo wanted to charge. The train out was fully booked so I was on a coach out to Antonio first and then a ride on the train. Not as spectacular as yesterday but still pretty good. Lunch was all you could eat and included in the fare $20 for walk ins. Began recording sounds - discovered lots of other recordings. Back at 4.30pm. Renewed Had another go at Budget - looks like change car at 
Friday Sept 13th
Up at 6am and out by 7.30 because Google said it was 5hrs + to Pikes Peak. Another stay on this road for 70miles! Then when I stopped at a rest stop it gave arrival at 11.45, so I booked the 13.20 train and a stop at McD only when I stopped it gave an arrival time of 13.00. So I skipped the McD and collected petrol, only to think that it didn't make sense and realise that it was sending me to the top of the mountain with the later times. Arrived at the base too early to be parked so had to go away. Again Google when asked for the nearest McD insisted on sending me to Wendy's. So I got a chance to try their $1 whatever (turned out to be ice cream and quite nice). After the trip up the mountain I saw that McD was just across the road from Wendy's.
   Trip up the mountain was in a modern car and we were not allowed to move, windows had reflections all over them so no photos until we got to the top. Not very much to see either on the way up and down but mountaintop had good views.
   Drive to Denver was interesting - Interstate most of the way and pretty crowded - then zigzag through Denver to motel which ir right next to a major highway. Must try and sort out the car in the morning before going to the Museum. Still hundreds of photos to sort, at least I got a thank you email off to Marylin and Marvin.
Saturday 14th Sept
So I rang Budget again and got a text message. Drove to the airport and got taken to the head of the queue. Settling in to first car when it said "Oil change soon" Second car said "Oil Change now - visit dealer" Finally goy out with third car, a Honda Genesis.
  Drove to the Colorado State Railroad Museum, they were having a Thomas the Tank Engine weekend so it was pre-booked only. Luckily, they took pity on a poor brit and let me in. Apparently, they have to pay Mattel for the use of it. No breakfast, so a personal Pizza, and a couple of souvenirs.
   Saw a station on google so drove over to have a look. RTD Train went to Union Station and a day pass cost less than $3 so I rode into town. Station was nothing like I remembered from the train. Went out to see Mile High but the stop was a long way from the stadium and I was worried about the car. Back about 4pm, trying to do photos and watch a college game.
Sunday Sept 15
Departed about 8am and headed for a McD about an hour up the road, only it was a drive through only, so on to the next one up the I25. From there Google decided to take me cross county to the I80. Remain on I80 for 200miles was the greeting when I got there.
You get what you pay for, Cody Motel was a dump, well old and it shows. TV was Roku, which didn't seem to have anything, till I realised I might be able to get a game from Australia. That worked and got most of second half. Then somehow got an off air NBC channel for the late game.
Monday Sept 16
Out around 7.30am and breakfast at McD then remain on I191 for 100 miles!
I'm getting better and did stop to take some pictures, I also decided to ignore Google, which said the I191 was closed and came up through Jackson.
Travellers Lodge is OK, but no way to make hot drinks and no Monday Night Football, so I am in a Sports Bar with a pizza ordered, this is going to be expensive! Last time I did this sort of thing was in Portugal for the Superbowl in the 80's and I didn't get to see the end there, as I remember, and I didn't here. Left at end of third quarter $50 down on pizza & Drinks.
Tuesday Sept 17
Upper Loop Tour so up at 5.30 out at 6am and the tour van is there. 6 people on the trip, which consisted mainly of spotting wild animals. Not much time to linger and lots and lots of cars, Parking Lots were pretty full. Tour finished at 2pm so a bit of a rest and catch up before wandering the town. Called at the Museum which turned out to be the old railway station, some interesting displays. Checked out FirePit BBQ but ended up at McD before coming back for more photo editing and an early night.
Wednesday Sept 18
RTFM Up at 5.30 and out on the street for 6am. After 20 mins I read the booking and the lower loop Tour doesn't start until 7am. Reception is shut so no hot drink.
Once again the tour seemed rushed towards the end, and we were back early 2pm. $10 tip (too little?) It continued to rain so I made my way to the Bear and Wolf Sanctuary which was pretty good - I want a wolf as a pet!
Then off for half a reack of ribs, beans and coleslaw at a cost of £21.91 $28.80
Thursday Sept 19
Up and off to McD - didn't get the usual discount/offer so $13 for breakfast and on the road by 8.30. Followed South Loop to Old Faithful and hiked the Audio Tour with a little addition down to Biscuit Basin to try and see the devastation which had it closed. Nice away from everyone and able to see squirrels. Then on to Mud Volcano in the hope of seeing some mud pots but the US version was not as gloopy and thick as the way I recall the NZ version.
Next the Yellowstone Upper Falls lots of trails blocked, I figure Artists Point must have been where we were yesterday (waste of time) It was getting late and I didn't fancy hiking down from the North Rim, but the overview was fantastic.
Back and finished nuts and cookies.
Friday Sept 20
This time I used the voucher at McD and went overboard with two Steak and Egg McMuffins.
Bit more of a queue to get into the park this morning.  Stopped at Gibbon Falls on my way to Mammoth Hot Springs. Took the Beaver Trail up to the top, No one else seen the entire way and it was a steady climb never as steep as the stairs on the walkway would have been. Congratulated myself all the way down! And I was able to get the Upper Loop Audio Tour, well the transcript - connection was not good enough for the audio,.  The Fort Audio Tour was not as successful. It vanished from the phone. Had I gone the other way round I might have been able to collect a guide for 1$. See Details
Stopped at Norris Geyser Basin, the one time I needed to charge the phone and the Powerbank was in the car. Once again too many pictures and video which will need editing when I get home. Off to Supermarket and maybe Subway before last night in West Yellowstone.
Saturday Sept 21
That was a good start, did the McD survey, only to find there was no offer on the receipt! 
Trying to relax and stay in bed but failing, although it is 7.30. Grizzly centre opens at 8.30 ( I want a grizzly magnet since there have been so many warnings about not getting eaten by bears) Will try a McD on the way. 
Got to McD Roxborough in time for breakfast chatted to some students. Visited Roxborough Aircraft Museum to kill time, nice place, I liked the display case with Sarin gas bombs next to humanitarian aid packs. On to Idaho Falls  only to discover that I was booked into Twin Falls - 2hr drive but closer to Salt Lake. Nice Motel6.
Sunday Sept 22
Couldn't lay in bed, it was still dark as I got hot water for Chocolate drink. Checked in for Monday flight. Out by 8.30, didn't need to use McD voucher. Walked the Canyon up to near Shoshone Falls, very pretty and a good distance. Got carried away at the Visitor Centre purchasing souvenirs. Then the drive - vast expanses and vast distances, well actually it wasn't bad. Stocked up with goodies and settled in to watch the football.


Monday Sept 23rd
Woke up about 0415, decided that, as I had to leave at 05.30, I could not go back to sleep so got up. 5am Alarm call booked with the hotel failed to materialise but I was up and off. 25 miles to Salt Lake Airport seemed quite a long way in the dark, got fuel and handed in car. Was through security by 06.20. Flight to Dallas where I got a two quarter pounders with cheese on the voucher - probably best deal going. Cleveland flight was delayed about 30mins. Shuttle bus to car rental was quite a way. Dollar had not sent me a confirmation so I had to produce drivers licence etc. Then the car had a tyre pressure warning and I had to go back in, The woman came out and looked at it. Her comment "There's air in the tyres." and my reply of  "I'm not driving it with a warning." Had he accusing me of shouting at her - not a pleasant exchange. Exit attendant was nicer. Then Google took me an hour in the wrong direction - and I had used the Expedia Get Directions - annoying. Motel was residential and the desk not attended. Girl came quickly enough and checked me in but it wasn't quick. Room is OK. Chocolate in 2 plastic cups. Second half of second game, having got the TV and Air con to work.       
Tuesday Sept 24
Drove down to Mc D for breakfast. Then on to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, missing the turn on the way Ohio is proving difficult to navigate. All day in The Hall, I had intended to visit the McKinley Presidential Library but it closed at 4pm and it was 4pm by the time I got ready to leave the hall. Back via Lidl, getting misdirected again, Pizza and watch the Australian game - the room was very cosy. Tornado warnings out for nearby counties!


Wednesday Sept 25
Up at 6am and drove to the airport via filling station. Hertz took the car and courtesy car took me to the airport. Dunkin Doughnuts breakfast and onto flight to Boston.
  Decided to leave the airport, 6hr layover. Took the ferry into the city, getting a senior fare, although they don't like giving them  to tourists. Did the Freedom Trail, but what I really wanted to check out was that there were still squirrels on Boston Common. There were but the place was so much more touristy than last time. Guided groups everywhere! Facebook messages with Tanya as the weekend event was cancelled. Took the Metro back to airport and patted down for the third time! Trainee this time so got full speech and even more thorough!
Thursday Sept 26
Jet Blue had a pretty good entertainment package. Except that a got a blob of chocolate on my shirt, pan au chocolate American style. Flixbus not showing on the departure board but afte a 2hr wait it was only 5mins late. Managed to not lose my bank card, it dropped on the floor and couldn't be recovered till Bristol. Made the 96 bus at Cardiff which left after 2mins so was back home by 2pm. Magnets posted, washing in, heating on 6pm and photos sort of processed as I sit in bed fighting the Jet Lag. Next trip Azores.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      


No comments:

Post a Comment