Tuesday 24 October 2023

Isle of Man

Monday 2nd October

I had thought that I would get up and catch an early train into Cardiff and have a McD breakfast but in the end I had an extra half hour in bed.
   There was no way I was going to trust the advertised departure of 7.15, (too many get cancelled) so I got the 7am which was 11 minutes late, so the wait at Cardiff was not too bad, same could be said for Crewe and Lancaster (where I had my cheese roll).
     The problem came at Heysham where they said there was no booing for me and the best they were able to do was put me on the Tuesday boat at 14.15. Also Friday was full - I could be fitted on to the evening boat and arrive at Heysaham at midnight.
     Call to TFW got someone at home who could not help, and the next one was not much better and 25 minutes into the call I got put on the boat as a standby.
Boat packed and view from the salon was lousy.
Google was not particularly accurate with the location of the B&B but I got in.

Tuesday 3rd

Not en-suite, and the breakfast was not too good. Muesli with grapefruit and toast and marmalade. Croissants on the menu but not available.
    After breakfast I got down to the Tourist Information Centre at the ferry port and purchased a 3 day travel pass. Strode the length of the promenade and made the 0940 tram to Ramsey. It was packed as there was a coach party on board. They all got out at Laxey and the rest of the trip was quite comfortable. I did wonder if the noise would require ear defenders. Ramsey was a nice half hour wander, pretty harbour. Got some food and back on the tram to Laxey.
    There is a reconstructed wheel below the road which has a whole story associated with it. Walked up to the Big Wheel. £13 to go to the toilet.
   
Got the Snaefell Tram up, stayed 10 minutes and came back own, at least I have seen part of the TT course.  Little wander round Laxey but didn't get as far as the beach. Tram back to Dougles.
    Google took me the long way round to Buyright which seemed to be a Sainsburys in disgiuse. Stocked up with food and was back at the B&B by 5pm
   The mouse has stopped working, and I bet there isn't an Asda on the island. And google says I am correct.

Wednesday 4th

   Today was supposed to be bus day, but it started well with a full breakfast as I was able to take my large baps down to breakfast and have them with the ham I had purchases and there were croissants available.
    Went round and had a look at the train station before catching the No5 bus along with a walking group so I had a guide as well. Got off at Peel. Pretty little harbour and beach, but nothing really exciting. Wandered into town and just made a No5 going on to Ramsey. It followe quite a bit of the TT Course.
    At Ramsey I wandered onto the beach and ate the final bap before getting back on the electric railway to Douglas.
    Had a bit of a wait for the horse tram which took me back to the B&B road and as it was 4pm I thought I would stay in. There was a really annoying noise from the pipes which lasted all evening -through the Sully SC Committee Meeting (via Zoom) Luckily it stopped when the neighbours came in around 10pm.

Thursday 5th

    Breakfast with a couple of Canadians 4 Croissants was not enough. Forecast was terrible but it didn't seem too bad as I made my way to the station. Hot chocolate and into a traditional compartment and a traditional window with a leather strop adjustment, and a French couple.
   All the way to Port Erin. The rail museum was also the destination for a Great Rail Journeys tour, so a bit of interest but they vanished. A quick walk to see the sea and harbour before getting back on the train for the return. Tried reording the noise.
   Back in Douglas the weather was really bad and it was only 1pm. Went to Tesco and got a "Meal Deal" and stuff. Decided the Manx Museum was probably a good call and it was pretty interesting. Thought I would dump the shopping, rain had stopped but it was blowing a gale. It was almost 4pm so I will probably stay in and have a snooze.

Friday 6th

No problem getting to the ferry, but it was a little late leaving (like over an hour). It was late into Heysham, arriving at 13.40. So I missed the train to Lancaster. 
      A taxi was provided to Lancaster Station but it did not arrive there until 14.19, so I missed the 13.59 Avanti train to Crewe. I therefore had to travel on the 14.58 to Crewe but this was 15 minutes late and did not arrive in Crew until 16.29, so I missed the connection at 16.10 and had to travel on the 17.10 to Cardiff, which was running approximately 15 minutes late. 
     I arrived in Cardiff at 20.03 and was able to catch the 20.10 to Barry arriving at 20.40. The scheduled arrival time was 18.18, so there was a delay of over two hours to the journey. Delay repay is pending and as usual TFW have said it is nothing to do with them and all down to Avanti!

No comments:

Post a Comment