Monday 23 January 2023

London

 

So, with the RYA Judges and Umpires Conference at the Royal Thames I was going to have to go up on Friday anyway, so treated myself to an early train with the intention of doing the tourist stuff.

Only problem was that I had booked an Easy Hotel - and they said my card was declined. Then when I read the small print check in was for an hour and a half between 3pm and 4.30. Having paid £20 for a ticket to the London Transport Museum, which is valid for a year, I figured I might as well get checked in, so took the tube to Gloucester Road. Their card machine was not working so I had to get cash anyway. The room was a pod. No way of controlling the temperature, but it was OK.

Went to the British Museum, I had a ticket for 1800 but got in about half an hour earlier. The aim was to see the roof, which it turns out was installed 22 years ago. The building is very impressive outside, but the 2 acre roof has made it less impressive inside. The massive facades just seem a little miniaturised by the roof. 

The  place was quite crowded and finding things was a problem - I decided I wanted to see the Sutton Hoo Treasures and without purchasing the app found it quite difficult.  I eventually succeeded.

Morning walk to the Conference at the Royal Thames was good. Natural History Museum and Victoria and Albert are impressive buildings. I also had time for a leisurely breakfast at McDonalds.

Two days at the Royal Thames - and an early departure in order to catch the train back to Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment